How much does augmented reality application development cost
The cost of product development is one of the main issues of interest at the initial stage of negotiations. Quite often clients receive detailed proposals, but what determines the cost of developing an augmented reality application? SmartTek experts tell in this article.
Benefits of augmented reality app for business
Shoppers try products at home in real size and buy in confidence through augmented reality, directly from the eCommerce apps of retailers.
According to Shopify interactions with products having 3D/AR content showed a 94% higher conversion rate than for products without AR/3D.
Thanks to augmented reality applications you can guide your customers to large objects or provide information about them.
AR is a great tool to demonstrate physical goods and products in 3 dimensions without borders.
Training for new employees and digital twins
Onboarding and explaining workflows can be much faster and easier with AR applications that replace complicated manuals. For example instructions on how to use a complex machine can appear along with a step-by-step guide by simply pointing a phone camera on the real machine.
Once we have clearly understood the benefits of developing an AR application, we can move on and determine what are the main factors in shaping the cost of creating an application.
Main components to consider when pricing out an AR app development
Scope of work – features, complexity of application logic, as well as necessary work on program development, including quality control activities, project management, launch/publication in application stores, support and maintenance after launch, etc.
Design & Development team – total costs include a time scale multiplied by the team hourly rate; hourly rate depends on team experience and its location.
Type of AR experience – there are different types of AR experiences such as:
- Marker-based AR
- Markerless AR
We have now identified the main milestones of application development planning so we can move to timelines and costs.
AR development time and prices
The general development time can vary from several weeks to several months. It can take even a year if the app functionality and 3D content are very complex. It all depends on the needs that the application has to meet. Below we provide info on ballpark costs and time of product creation. To find out clearer estimates for your specific project, please contact us.
- If you want to develop a simple AR app it can be created by one engineer in just 1-2 weeks. For example, the application can allow users to explore 3D goods or products by simply pointing their phone camera on the plain area or marker. It is the kind of an app that can be implemented quickly if 3D models are ready.
- The next generation of wayfinding is AR outdoor navigation. Such an app helps customers to find their way to a destination, even in an unfamiliar place. An outdoor navigation development for a complex venue will last at least 8 – 12 weeks.
- Users have difficulties in finding and understanding the solution in the big user manual, and sometimes they misunderstand the procedures. If there was a mobile app that would aid users to deal with a new product, car, or a coffee machine, so you don’t need a manual, wouldn’t it be great? Augmented reality gives a possibility to create an interactive user manual. Object recognition app development of an average-sized item can take 4 to 12 weeks.
- An architectural visualization or 360 walkthroughs can be created in both VR and AR modes. In AR tours potential buyers can explore how the building looks or will look if it is not built yet. Altogether, 3D modeling and app development can take up to 6 weeks. 360 photo tours can be done in 5-10 days depending on photos quality and quantity.
- AR Training experience with digital twin heavily depends on scenario complexity and additional features such as user management, roles management and analytics. Simple scenarios with 3D assets provided can be delivered in 4-6 weeks.
Ballpark development costs are as follows:
Simple AR app with ARkit/ARCore/Vuforia excluding 3D modeling services — starts from $3,500
360 virtual tour — starts from $3,500
Architectural visualization — starts from $3,500
Object recognition with computer vision — starts from $6,000
Facial features recognition app — starts from $6,000
Outdoor navigation — starts from $7,000
AR Training experience – starts from $6,500
Want to get a quote for your project – just contact us here.